Many Africans in the Diaspora go through the difficult and often emotional struggle to find their ancestors. Because of the slave trade, it is often very challenging to locate records past the 1800’s. As a result, many use the tools provided by various DNA testing companies to determine their African connections.
There are a number of companies out there who offer DNA testing. Here are some of the options available in DNA testing:
- https://www.23andme.com/en-int/ancestry/ With over 1,000,000 people worldwide in our database, you could discover hundreds of matches, more data and more discoveries. Find out what percent of your DNA comes from populations around the world, ranging from East Asia, Sub-Saharan Africa, Europe, and more. Break European ancestry down into distinct regions such as the British Isles, Scandinavia and Italy. People with mixed ancestry, African Americans, Latinos, and Native Americans will also get a detailed breakdown.
- www.ancestrydna.com Your DNA will be analyzed at more than 700,000 genetic markers. When your results arrive, you’ll see a breakdown of your ethnicity—and it may contain a few surprises. Then, you can start learning more about the places where your family story began
- https://www.familytreedna.com/ Our DNA tests can help you find family, break through brick walls and trace your lineage through time. We are the only company with a comprehensive testing suite that can take you on this journey.
- Family Tree DNA has the most comprehensive ancestry database in the world
- We’ll put you in contact with your closest genetic matches
- Share stories and work together to connect the dots on your family tree
- http://www.africanancestry.com/home/ Using the power of DNA and the most comprehensive database of indigenous African genetic sequences in existence, African Ancestry is the ONLY company that can trace your ancestry back to a specific present-day African country of origin, and often to specific African ethnic groups dating back more than 500 years ago. If the results are from another continent, that information will be provided